It’s that time of year again – lemon season! The branches of our lemon tree are literally sagging under the weight of all the lemons, so it seemed like the perfect time to do a little lemony baking while the baby snoozed.
These zesty lemon melting moments live up to their name: they’re zesty, tangy and absolutely delicious. They’re also super quick to make and you only need really basic ingredients – chances are you already have everything you need sitting in the cupboard already.
While the biscuits themselves are delightful (who doesn’t love a melting moment?), all the lemon flavour comes from the icing – that’s why it’s so important! I like my biscuits nice and tangy, but if you’d like a lighter flavour simply reduce the amount of lemon zest… or increase it if you’re totally lemon crazy.
Zesty lemon melting moments
Makes 10 sandwiched biscuits
Recipe adapted from Chelsea
- 125g butter, at room temperture
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup cornflour or arrowroot
Zesty lemon icing
- 20g butter, softened
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Place butter and icing sugar in a bowl and beat until pale and creamy. Add flour and cornflour and mix well.
- Lightly flour your hands, then roll mixture into small balls (approx. 1 tsp each). Place on baking tray and flatten with a fork dusted in icing sugar.
- Place in oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until cooked through and lightly golden on the base. Place on a cooling rack to cool completely before icing.
Zesty lemon icing
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and beat until pale, creamy and smooth.
- Pair up cooled biscuits, matching up sizes as best you can.
- Scoop icing into a piping bag, snip off the end and pipe a generous circle onto base of one biscuit of each pair. Place other biscuit on top and allow to set at room temperature before storing in an airtight container.