Adapted from Sweetapolita
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup milk, split into ¼ cup and ¾ cup
- 3 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 3 cups cake flour (instructions below)
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
- 170g butter, softened and cubed
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease and line two 8 or 9 inch cake pans.
- In a small bowl, combine egg white, ¼ cup milk and vanilla. Mix well and set aside.
- Make cake flour by removing 1 Tbsp of plain flour for every cup and replace each with 1 Tbsp cornflour. For this recipe, remove 3 Tbsp plain flour and add 3 Tbsp of cornflour. Sift several times to combine.
- Place all dry ingredients in large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add butter and remaining ¾ cup milk. Mix until just moistened. Increase mixer speed to medium and mix for approx. 90 seconds.
- Gradually add egg mixture in three additions. Mix well between each addition (approx. 20 seconds).
- Divide batter equally into the prepared pans. Bake for 25 – 35 minutes or until inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes before turning onto rack to cool completely.