There’s no denying my love of all things peanut butter – on toast, with carrots or in baking, I’m a happy critter whenever there’s peanut butter around! While I’m not particularly fussy about how I get my peanut butter fix, there’s one combination that’s just that little bit better than the rest… you guessed it, peanut butter and chocolate!
You’ll notice there are quite a few peanut butter and chocolate recipes hanging out in the recipe index. But after while perusing the confectionary aisle at the supermarket this weekend I realised a shocking fact – despite all the peanut butter creations on my blog, there aren’t any featuring Whittaker’s peanut butter chocolate!
This was a pretty horrifying fact considering how much I love that chocolate. So I decided to make things right and come up with a simple, decadent and totally delicious recipe that uses it. That’s where these biscuits come in – ugly peanut butter biscuits!
There’s no denying it, these biscuits are pretty ugly! But the flavour is definitely worth overlooking this shortcoming. The biscuits are moist and soft, with an almost cakey feel about them, and are absolutely packed with cubes of peanut butter chocolate which melt beautifully when baked. Peanut butter perfection!
If the flavours of this biscuit aren’t enough to lure you, then the simplicity will! It’s a one bowl recipe, with hardly any steps and no tricky aspects – just mix and roll! You don’t even need to chop the chocolate; popping the squares in your stand mixer along with the mixture will break it up just the right amount without making any extra mess.
Plus, since they look ugly regardless, you don’t even need to roll the mixture nicely – just pull out a chunk and press it down a little when you pop it on the tray. After just ten minutes in the oven, your house will be filled with that wonderful peanut buttery smell… and biscuits of course!
Be careful though – these biscuits have proven to be a little hard to resist, as both Kevin and I can attest! There’s something about the soft, decadent mixture combined with the slightly gooey chocolate and peanut butter that people can’t resist – you’ve been warned!
- 225g butter, softened and cubed
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups plain flour
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 275g Whittaker’s Peanut Butter chocolate, in pieces
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Line two baking trays.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugars and vanilla until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Add flour, cocoa and baking soda to wet mixture, and mix until well combined. Add chocolate and stir until evenly dispersed through mixture.
- Scoop out tablespoon-sized heaps of mixture and roll into balls. Place on baking tray and lightly flatten with fingers.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until biscuits centres are set but still soft. Allow to cool on baking tray for approx. five minutes before carefully transferring to cooling rack.