Recipe adapted from Chez Les Meron
- 2 cups sugar
- 50ml water
- 100g butter, cubed
- 300ml cream, room temperature
- ¼ tsp salt
- Place the sugar and water into a saucepan and stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved, brushing down the sides with water to ensure no sugar sticks to the sides
- Increase the heat to medium and bring sugar to the boil. Do not stir. Boil without stirring until sugar syrup turns a deep amber colour (approx 175 degrees Celsius on a sugar thermometer).
- Remove from heat and add butter. Stir until melted and combined. Add cream and stir, taking care as the mixture will bubble and spit.
- Place pan back over low heat and add salt. Stir until the mixture comes together and coats the back of a spoon when dipped.
- Allow salted caramel to cool to lukewarm before pouring into sterilised jars.