As wife to a CrossFit mad man with an insatiable appetite and very little self-control when it comes to indulging his sweet tooth, I often struggle to strike a balance between filling the cupboard with baking and not filling his bloodstream with copious amounts of sugar.
It’s simple – I love baking and he loves eating it. Every weekend we have new sweet treats tucked away in the cupboard. But just because it’s sweet doesn’t mean it has to be sugary – in fact, it doesn’t necessarily need to have any sugar at all to taste amazing.
Just look at these delicious zesty lemon biscuits. They’re soft, packed with lemony punch and are topped with just the right amount of creamy lemon icing – and are totally sugar-free. Yip – they are topped with icing but don’t have a single grain of refined sugar in sight. Pretty magic, right?
This all comes down to one special ingredient – Natvia – a totally natural organic sweetener made from organic Stevia. As a one-to-one sweetener, all you need to do is replace the sugar in your favourite recipe with Natvia and bake away as usual.
But my favourite ingredient in the Natvia range has got to be their Icing Mix – it really does feel like magic. While the texture isn’t exactly the same as standard icing sugar, Natvia Icing Mix is an unbelievably good replacement – the icing kind of puffs away in your mouth, giving you a hit of sweetness and flavour without the sugar. It kind of blows my mind, you have to try it.
These zesty lemon biscuits make the perfect mid-afternoon treat – and you don’t need to feel guilty about enjoying them. Plus they’re super quick and easy to make – good, huh! My tip? Whip the butter until it’s nice and pale before adding the Natvia to the mix to get the dough as light as possible.
Check out the Natvia range – including bumper 700g baking packs – at Countdown, New World and Pak N’ Save stores nationwide.
- 100g butter, softened
- 100g Natvia
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 2 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 cup Natvia Icing Mix
- 3-4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius and line three baking trays with paper. Set aside.
- Place butter in a large bowl and beat until pale and creamy. Add Natvia and mix until well combined, scraping sides occasionally.
- Add lemon juice and zest and mix until well combined. Add egg and mix well.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix until just combined. Add milk and mix until dough comes together – note: the dough will be quite stiff.
- Scoop tablespoons of dough and roll into balls, before flattening with the palm of your hand. Place on baking trays and bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden and cracking slightly at the edges.
- Remove from baking tray immediately and place on wire rack to cool.
- Once biscuits have cooled, place Natvia Icing Mix and 3 Tbsp lemon juice in a small bowl and mix until well combined. Continue adding lemon juice and/or Natvia Icing Mix until icing reaches desired consistency.
- Using an off-set spatula or butter knife, spread a icing onto top of each biscuit. Finish with lemon zest or sprinkles if desired.
This post was made possible with thanks to Natvia.