While decadent sweet treats are undeniably delicious, sometimes what you really need stashed away in the cupboard is a treat that still feels like a treat, but isn’t going to put you into a sugar coma. Something that’s a healthier option, tastes amazing, and is easy to make without needing to buy countless hard-to-find speciality ingredients.
Sounds a bit like an impossible brief, right? Wrong – this delish raspberry and lemon crumble slice ticks every single one of those boxes. Imagine a crumbly biscuit base slathered in a thick coating of baked raspberries and topped with a crumble of biscuit.
Oh, and it’s totally free of refined sugar. Good, huh?
The magic of this slice comes down to one secret ingredient – Natvia. Natvia is a totally natural, low-calorie sweetener made from organic Stevia that makes sugar-free baking a breeze – it’s a one-to-one sweetener, so simply replace the sugar in your favourite recipe with Natvia and you’re all set. Too easy.
By using a little Natvia in place of sugar in this recipe, you’re left with a sweet treat that really does taste like a treat without the guilt. And since it’s absolutely packed with delicious raspberries, you could totally enjoy this as a grab-and-go breakfast if you’re really in a pinch… you know, not that I’ve done it!
While it’s delicious enjoyed straight from the cookie jar throughout the week, this slice becomes even more delightful if you warm it slightly in the microwave and drizzle with a little lemon icing before serving.
Luckily Natvia also have Natvia Icing Mix, making it simple for you to whip up sugar-free drizzle icing, buttercream and cream cheese icing. Yip, sugar-free icing – how good is that?
Check out the Natvia range – including bumper 700g baking packs – at Countdown, New World and Pak N’ Save stores nationwide.
Base and crumble
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup Natvia
- 110g butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp lemon juice + 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 cups raspberries, frozen
- ¼ cup Natvia
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 185 degrees Celsius and line a slice tin with baking paper (I used a 30cm x 20cm tin)
- Place all base ingredients into a large bowl and mix until just combined. The dough should be crumbly but stick together easily when pressed.
- Place half the mixture into the prepared pan and press into a smooth layer. Set remaining half aside.
- In a medium bowl combine all filling ingredients. Stir with a spoon until evenly combined. Scoop over prepared base, spreading evenly to cover right to the edges.
- Squeeze remaining dough into small handfuls and crumble over raspberry topping until all dough has been used.
- Place in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow to cool completely in tin before slicing.
The lovely team at Natvia have given me three fabulous Natvia packs to give away to three lucky readers, including:
- 1x Natvia 700g Baking Pack
- 1x Natvia Icing Mix
- 1x Natvia 40 stick box
- 1x Chocolate Fangks milk flavouring (sweetened with Natvia)
- 1x Strawberry Fangks milk flavouring (sweetened with Natvia)
- 1x Du Chocolat drinking chocolate (sweetened with Natvia)
To enter, simply use the gadget below to tell me which Natvia product you would most like to try and why. You can score yourself some extra entries by following High Tea with Dragons and Natvia on Facebook, so be sure to take a look.
This post was made possible with thanks to Natvia. All opinions are my own.
Entries close 11:59pm Tuesday 22 April. The winners will be chosen at random and notified on Wednesday 23 April. Sorry – this giveaway is only open to New Zealand residents.