While it’s always a bit hard getting used to the end of daylight savings and the arrival of cooler weather, there’s one great thing about autumn – the baking!
Not only is it much more pleasant using the oven when you aren’t already roasting in the summer heat, but there are a whole new range of flavours you can play around with – think baked autumn fruits and warming spices.
Spiced apple is one of my all-time favourite flavours for the cooler months, so I was thrilled to find out Piako’s launched two delicious new flavours to their range – Lime and (my personal favourite) Spiced Apple.
Like all the flavours in Piako’s range, these new gourmet yoghurts are perfect for enjoying as an indulgent treat on their own – but they’re equally delicious in baking! After all, Piako yoghurts are known for being deliciously flavoursome so why wouldn’t you want to bring that beautiful flavour into your baking?
PSST – want to WIN a month’s supply of Piako yoghurt and a beautiful candle inspired by Piako’s Spiced Apple flavour? Then get your entry in at the bottom of this post.
That’s where these gorgeous Spiced Apple yoghurt muffins come in. As well as being loaded with a full cup of Piako’s beautifully creamy Spiced Apple yoghurt, they’re also packed with fresh diced apple and a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg to give them a little extra punch.
Not only does the Spiced Apple yoghurt effortlessly bring a whole heap of flavour into the muffins, but the Piako yoghurt also helps keep the finished muffins incredibly fluffy and moist.
Seriously, these muffins are so good that you’ll want to make the recipe using all the various flavours in Piako’s range – raspberry muffins made with Piako raspberry yoghurt with frozen raspberries are next on my list!
So grab a tub (or two) of Piako yoghurt (RRP $5.99 for 500g) and get baking!
Spiced apple yoghurt muffins
Makes 12 muffins, recipe adapted from Once Upon a Chef
- 120g butter, softened
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed + extra for sprinkling
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Piako Spiced Apple yoghurt
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 apples, cored and diced
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius and grease a 12-hole muffin pan.
- Place butter in a large bowl and beat until creamy. Add sugars and beat until pale and fluffy.
- Add egg and mix until well combined. Add Piako Spiced Apple yoghurt and mix well.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg, and beat until just combined.
- Add diced apple and mix until just combined. Mixture will be very thick.
- Spoon mixture evenly into the prepared muffin pan. Sprinkle each muffin with brown sugar.
- Place in oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly golden and a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly in the pan before transferring to a wire rack. Best enjoyed warm.
To be in to win, simply use the gadget below to tell me which new Piako flavour you would most like to try – Spiced Apple or Lime.
This post was made possible thanks to Piako. All words, images and recipes are my own. Entries close 11.59pm Sunday 24 April. The winner will be chosen at random and notified on Tuesday 26 April. Winner must make contact within 3 business days or they’ll forfeit the prize and a new winner will be drawn. Sorry – this giveaway is only open to New Zealand residents.