I’m going to be honest – I had a bit of trouble coming up with the idea for this blog post. No matter what I did, I just couldn’t come up with something I wanted to bake, something that got me excited and itching to get the ball rolling.
I stared into the cupboard aimlessly, poured through cookbooks fruitlessly and went on a massive Pinterest trawl, all to no avail. I came to the conclusion that I’d never come up with an idea good enough to share, so decided to grab a drink from the fridge and give my overworked brain a break.
Then I spotted a pouch of fresh lime juice perched in the door of the fridge and a million ideas popped into my head. I scurried to the pantry and dug around for a jar of lime and passionfruit curd I picked up at a market in the Hawkes Bay a few months ago. As I lay my hand on the jar, it all came together – time to make some refreshing, tangy lime cupcakes.
If you love limes, you’re going to adore these cupcakes – they really are something special!
The cupcake itself is a fluffy lime cake, packed with all the flavour of fresh lime juice. Each cupcake is filled with a generous teaspoon of lime and passionfruit curd, giving the cakes a punchy surprise. To finish, each cupcake is topped with a big swirl of tangy lime buttercream. Lots of lime, lots of flavour and unbelievably delicious.
Despite being so flavoursome, these cupcakes are super easy to prepare – it’s really just a matter of adding fresh lime juice to standard vanilla cupcake and buttercream recipes, you can’t go wrong. If you don’t have lime and passionfruit curd, you could certainly switch it out for another of your favourite curds – lemon curd would work beautifully and leave you with a wonderful lemon & lime creation!
With so much going on in the cupcake itself, I wanted to keep the decoration nice and simple – just a swirl of buttercream and a light sprinkle of my favourite sugar pearls. The finished cupcakes look fresh and sophisticated; perfect for lazy afternoon teas on warm Summer afternoons.
These cupcakes were a hit with more than just me – everyone who tried them had an “omg” reaction that brought a huge smile to my face; no one expected so much flavour, but absolutely loved what they tasted. Perfection! I hope you love them too.
- ¾ cup self rising flour
- ¾ cup plain flour
- 112g butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 12 tsp lime & passionfruit curd, approx
- 200g butter, softened
- 3 – 4 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 2 – 3 tsp fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Line 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Cream butter until smooth. Gradually add sugar and cream until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, whisk together plain and self-rising flour. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients in three additions, alternating with milk. Add lime juice and mix until well combined.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners to ¾ full. Bake for 20 -25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in pan for 15 minutes before placing on rack to cool.
- Core each cupcake, saving the tops to cover the openings.
- Fill each cupcake with 1 tsp of lime and passionfruit curd.
- Trim cored offcut, replacing top on the hole so the cupcake has a smooth top.
- Beat butter with paddle attachment until smooth.
- Add 3 cups of icing sugar one cup at a time. Add lime juice. Mix until well combined and smooth.
If icing is too thin, incrementally add remaining icing sugar until reach desired consistency.
If icing is too thick, add milk by the tablespoon until reach desired consistency