Red Wine Cupcakes with Whipped Chocolate Icing
Makes approx. 36 cupcakes
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups plain flour
- 170g butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups light muscovado sugar, packed
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups red wine
- 150g butter, softened
- 225g milk chocolate, chopped
- 1 – 1 ½ cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius and line three 12-hole cupcake pans with cases
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together butter and both sugars until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Add red wine and mix until well incorporated. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined – the mixture will look lumpy.
- Fill prepared cases ¾ with mixture and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from pans and place on wire rack to cool completely before icing.
- Place chopped chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and melt in 30 second bursts, mixing between each.
- Place butter in bowl and mix until smooth. Add 1 cup of sugar and mix until a dough forms.
- Add melted chocolate and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add remaining ½ cup of icing sugar as needed until desired consistency is reached.