One of my favourite things about this time of year is that berries begin making their way into our shopping basket again. The shelves of the supermarket are filled with strawberries, blueberries and (my personal favourite) raspberries, and roadside stalls begin popping up all over the place so you’re never far away from a snack of summer berries – yum!
What’s especially great about berries is they’re delicious in baking (no surprises there, right?) – whether you buy them fresh or frozen, there’s no end of delicious ways you can incorporate them into your baking.
While I have a good number of dessert recipes that are packed with berries, I realised I didn’t have many berry-centric recipes for morning or afternoon tea – so I decided to fix that and come up with something. The result? Quick, easy and delicious sweet scones – yip, sweet scones!
These raspberry and white chocolate scones are absolutely fantastic. While the dough itself is just lightly sweetened, the finished scones have a deliciously sweet taste thanks to the raspberries packed inside them. The sprinkling of white chocolate chips gives every couple bites something a little different, adding a bit of decadence to these ridiculously easy treats.
Like all good scones, these are super easy to prepare – you’ll have the dough mixed, shaped and ready to pop in the oven in around 15 minutes! I love the look of a scone loaf, divided into wedges before baking ready to be torn apart and enjoyed fresh from the oven, but you could just as easily shaped the dough into individual scones instead – you’d get around six from the mixture.
After 20-25 minutes in the oven – when the scones are just lightly golden – it’s time to pull them from the oven and whip them off the baking tray quick smart lest their bottoms darken up. Kevin and I enjoyed these with a cup of tea for afternoon tea, and they made an absolutely perfect summer treat. I hope you love them as much as we did!
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 85g butter, cubed
- 1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Line baking tray and lightly dust with flour.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Add butter and rub through dry mixture until a coarse crumb forms.
- Add raspberries and white chocolate chips and mix until evenly distributed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and milk. Add to dry mixture and stir until combined and sticky.
- Turn dough onto baking tray and shape into loaf (approx 3cm thick). Cut into wedges with sharp knife.
- Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden. Carefully transfer to plate of serving board immediately. Best served warm.