With our new little arrival due in less than two weeks (eek!), I’m busy filling the freezer with all kinds of meals to help get us through those first few weeks with a newborn.
But it’s not just dinners I’m trying to get sorted – I want some baked treats stashed away in there too! Things that we can whip out if we know people are popping over to visit, that I can stash in the husband’s lunch when he heads back to work, and (of course) to have ready to go when we realise it’s been ages since we last ate and just need to get something in.
And that’s what these raspberry bran muffins will be perfect for – grabbing and eating on the run. While they’re still a sweet treat, they’re not something to feel guilty about enjoying thanks to a couple of clever little ingredients.
First up, these muffins are absolutely packed with (you guessed it…) bran, which not only gives the muffins a sweet nutty flavour but also gives you a whole bunch of fibre and protein. This goes hand in hand with wholemeal flour, which helps give the muffins another fibre kick.
Then there’s the fact that these muffins are made with Equal Spoonful rather than traditional sugar, helping give them just the right amount of sweetness with fewer calories. The best part? The husband absolutely devours them and had no idea I didn’t use sugar until I told him afterwards – they still taste great!
The bonus? They’re super quick to whip up and you can easily switch out the raspberries for any berries you have tucked away in the freezer. I’m sure you’ll love them.
Raspberry bran muffins
Makes 12 standard muffins
Adapted from Life Made Simple
- 1 cup buttermilk (make your own by adding 1 Tbsp white vinegar to standard milk)
- 160g tub of berry yoghurt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup oil
- ¼ cup Equal Spoonful
- 1 ½ cups wheat bran
- 1 ¼ cups wholemeal flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup (heaped) frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius and line 12 whole muffin pan with cases
- In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, yogurt, egg, oil and Equal Spoonful. Whisk until well combined.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix lightly. Gradually add wet mixture, stirring until just combined. Add frozen raspberries and stir until dispersed throughout mixture. Spoon into prepared cases.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If freezing, place in an airtight container when completely cool and pop in freezer. Remove from container and defrost on a wire rack when required.
To enter, simply leave a comment below and let me know what baked treat you would like to make with Equal Spoonful. Bonus points if you share a photo of your creation as well!
Entries close at 11.59pm Sunday 11 June and the winner will be drawn at random. Winner must make contact within 5 business days or they will forfeit the prize and a new winner will be drawn. Sorry – this giveaway is only open to New Zealand residents.
This post was made possible thanks to Equal Spoonful. All words, photos and opinions are, and always will be, my own.