One of the very first things I shared on High Tea with Dragons were peanut butter bites – soft balls of peanut butter dipped in chocolate. Simply put, they’re delicious. But one of the best things about the recipe is how quick and simple it is – whether you’re a novice or master baking, they’re an absolute cinch.
Today’s recipe is a twist on that fail-proof recipe, using pretzels to bring a subtle saltiness to the peanut buttery goodness. Intrigued? You should be! These bite-sized treats are made from a combination of finely crushed pretzels and peanut butter, with the pretzels giving them just the right amount of saltiness and crunch while the peanut butter gives them smoothness and flavour.
You might be a little sceptical about combining pretzels and peanut butter – I know, I’ve been there too. But somehow the combination works – the flavours really do complement each other perfectly, giving you the best of both worlds in one treat.
The bonus of this recipe is how quick it is to make – I had the mixture made, balls rolled and in the fridge in less than 15 minutes. All you need to do is crush the pretzels in a food processor, mix the crumbs together with a little peanut butter, icing sugar and butter, roll them into little balls and leave them to chill.
Once they’re nice and firm, simply melt a block of chocolate and dip each ball in it so they’re completely encased in chocolate. Pick them out of the chocolate using a fork, tap off the excess and pop them back in the fridge to set. They’re delicious to eat as they are, but if you want to make them look a little prettier like I did, warm a little peanut butter in the microwave and pipe a squiggle atop each chocolate coated ball – the peanut butter will firm up to a soft fudge consistency once you put them back in the fridge.
The finished treats a delicious balance of sweet and salty, and are bound to go down a treat with anyone who even remotely likes peanut butter. They’re incredibly moorish and make the perfect bit-sized treat when you need something sweet at the end of a long, hard day… or whenever else you can justify it!
Recipe adapted from Fit, Fun & Delish
- 113g peanut butter, smooth
- 14g butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups pretzels
- 3 Tbsp icing sugar
- 250g high quality milk chocolate, chopped
- Place pretzels in a food processor and crush into very small pieces
- Place peanut butter, butter and light brown sugar in a bowl and mix until smooth
- Add crushed pretzels and mix well
- Add icing sugar and stir until well combined
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Roll small, teaspoon sized balls of mixture and place on lined tray. Place in fridge for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Place chocolate in microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second bursts, mixing well between each, until smooth
- Sit ball on a fork and dip in chocolate, rolling so completely coated. Tap off excess chocolate and place on lined tray.
- Repeat until all truffles are covered then place in the fridge to set
Optional: Once chocolate has set, warm two tablespoons of smooth peanut butter in the microwave for 30 seconds. Scoop into a snaplock bag and snip off the corner. Pipe a squiggle of peanut butter atop each ball, then place in the fridge to set.
As seen on nzgirl.co.nz