Life is pretty crazy around here at the moment. In just two weeks time we will be moving house (again) and I’ll be starting a new job – what a mammoth couple of days that will be! Combine those big life changes with planning our wedding (which is now just four months away), other commitments and general life, it’s fair to say we’re a busy little household.
When things get this busy it’s easy to forget about making time for yourself – and for me, that means baking and blogging! While Kevin’s great about ensuring we always set a bit of time aside, the amount of time available has become a bit scarce. I’m sure you can guess what this means – I’ve been on the hunt for quick and easy recipe ideas that pack a punch!
Today’s recipe is all that and more – it’s cookie-ception; a cookie within a cookie. I’m sure you’ve seen these floating around the internet for awhile now, but I’ve finally given them a try – Oreo stuffed chocolate chip biscuits! YUM!
Unfamiliar with these crazy creations? They’re as simple as they sound- soft chocolate chip cookie dough, wrapped around a store-bought Oreo and baked together. The chocolate chip biscuit bakes up beautifully soft, with just the right amount of chew and a light brown sugar flavour. The extra baking does nothing to the Oreo, simply giving the biscuits an unusual surprise at their centre – perfect!
There are a few things worth pointing out about this recipe. Firstly, the finished biscuits are BIG – mine ended up about 8cm across. They expend quite a bit while baking, so be sure to have plenty of space between them on the tray.
The second thing worth noting is that they look a little ridiculous – all I can see when looking at them are cookie-shaped flying saucers! Luckily, the cookies are actually incredible, so being a little ugly is totally forgivable – this is one biscuit that you should definitely not judge on appearances!
The finished biscuits were delicious – the chocolate chip cookie baked beautifully, staying soft inside while firm to the bite, while the Oreo added a whole other dimension to what would otherwise be a pretty basic biscuit! They got the seal of approval by everyone who tried them too – let’s just say after catching up with a few friends the whole batch was gone!
Recipe adapted from Tablespoon.com
- 225g butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ – ¾ cup chocolate chips
- 1 packet Oreos
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius and line several baking trays
- Cream together butter, brown sugar and white sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour and baking soda and mix until a soft dough forms. Add chocolate chips and mix until well combined.
- Roll and flatten a heaped teaspoon of mixture until slightly larger than an Oreo. Place Oreo in centre of dough. Roll and flatten a second heaped teaspoon of mixture, placing on top of Oreo. Pinch together the cookie dough, encasing the Oreo entirely in chocolate chip mixture.
- Bake for 10 -13 minute until lightly golden. Cool on tray for five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Note: Ensure there is plenty of room between each cookie on the baking sheet as they will expand significantly during baking