While perusing the supermarket aisles for baking inspiration, Kevin came across a pretty awesome special – five packets of Oreos for $5. Before we knew it our basket was laden with Oreos and I was left to work out what on earth I was going to do with them.
It wasn’t easy – this one didn’t come from a flash of inspiration – but after a little hunting on Pinterest I came up with something I wanted to try… combining a peanut butter and Oreo stack with an individual sized brownie.
The result? Oreo and peanut butter stuffed brownies. Yip, the Oreos were smooshed together with a generous helping of peanut butter and baked inside a rich chocolate brownie.
It’s one of those treats you can’t help but falling in love with despite knowing how dreadful it is for you. It has everything – richness, flavour, texture… delicious!
As you can imagine, these were very easy to make. After preparing a half batch of brownie batter (this gave me 10 stuffed brownies) I lined a cupcake pan with cases and filled each around one-third with batter. Then it’s as easy as sandwiching two Oreos together with peanut butter, smearing a little peanut butter on top of the top Oreo and pushing the stack into the centre of each case.
The trick is to carefully press the Oreo stack down to the bottom of the case, through the batter so the top of the stack sits below the top of the cupcake case. For best results, press down on the centre of the top Oreo where the stack is at its strongest – pressing on the sides can cause them to crumble into a bit of a mess.
With the cases filled with Oreos pour the remaining brownie batter over each one, pouring mixture down the sides of the brownies as well as over the top. Then just pop them in the oven and wait for the magic to happen! Like most good brownies they take a good 45-60 minutes to bake and will look a little funny – the mixture above the Oreo stack doesn’t rise as high as the rest as there’s so much denseness beneath it, leaving them with a slightly sunken look.
But their saving grace is that they’re delicious. Absolutely decadent. Crazily bad for you. But definitely something you’ll want to try, even if you just make a half batch.
I’m sure you’ll love them!
- 72g butter, chopped
- 88g dark chocolate, roughly broken
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa
- 20 Oreos
- ½ cup (approx) peanut butter, crunchy or smooth
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius and line cupcake tray with cases
- Melt butter and chocolate together, stir with fork until smooth
- Stir in sugar and eggs
- In a separate bowl sift together flour and cocoa. Stir into chocolate mixture and mix until just combined
- Spread ½ – 1 tsp of peanut butter on top of an Oreo and sandwich against another Oreo.
- Spread another ½ – tsp peanut butter on top of the top Oreo. Repeat until you have 10 stacks of Oreos.
- Fill cupcake cases 1/3 with brownie batter. Press an Oreo stack into the centre of each case, pressing into batter so it sits beneath the top of the cupcake liner.
- Fill cases with remaining brownie mixture, filling down the sides of the Oreo stack as well as the top.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes until skewer inserted down the side of the Oreo stack comes out clean. Allow to partially cool in tin before transferring to a rack to fully cool