One of the things I love most about coffee is how versatile it is. Not only can you always rely on it to push your brain into working order each morning, but there are endless other ways you can use it to make little moments in your life a little bit better – drink it, bake with it, celebrate with it; you can pretty much do anything.
But until last month there was one way I’d never thought of using coffee – to make delicious cocktails. Seriously, who knew you could do that? It wasn’t until I tried this delicious Naked Nespresso Decaffeinato Martini at a Nespresso event last month that the thought even crossed my mind. And gosh, it is amazing!
So good in fact that I knew I absolutely had to lay my hands on the recipe and share it with you – luckily the lovely Nespresso team were ever obliging and made it happen. And judging by the response on Facebook, it looks like a lot of you were keen to try this cocktail for yourself too!
While I don’t usually make cocktails at home, this recipe has changed all of that – this decaf martini is now officially my ‘go-to’ drink when entertaining. Not only does it look impressive, but it’s the easiest thing in the world to make. And did I mention how delicious it is?
What makes this recipe night-time appropriate is that it’s made with Nespresso’s fabulous new decaffeinato Grand Crus which have been specially crafted to taste as close as humanly possible to three of the brand’s most popular caffeinated counterparts. And you know what? They did an amazing job – I genuinely struggle to tell the difference between the decaf and standard varieties.
So make an excuse to have friends over and enjoy these rather special Naked Nespresso Decaffeinato Martinis. Or, just treat yourself – you don’t need a special occasion for that!
Recipe created for Nespresso by Drinks Specialist Chase Bickerton, Spirits Ambassador for Lion
- 40ml (one espresso shot) of the NespressoVolluto Decaffeinato Grand Cru*
- 30ml of either premium vodka or rum
- 1 ½ tsp brown sugar
- Garnish of choice – I used chocolate shavings, but you could try coffee beans, orange zest or a dash of Bitters
- Chill a Martini or cocktail short glass with ice
- Into a shaker, add all the above ingredients – spirit, Nespressodecaf shot and sugar
- Fill the shaker with ice and shake very hard for about 7 seconds. The tin part of the shaker should be very cold to the touch.
- Discard ice from your choice of service glass. If using a short glass, place a large ice sphere of multiple ice cubes to serve the cocktail over.
- Fine strain the cocktail into your glass, making sure to work the shaker to release all the delicious crema from your hard work shaking!
- Add your choice of garnish, and try and suit the flavours of the coffee you are using or your personal preference. Experiment to find your perfect serve.
* Don’t have a Nespresso machine? No worries – just use a 40ml brew of your favourite decaf coffee instead.