- ½ cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 50g butter, softened and cubed
- 140g butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 ½ cups flour, plain
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 4 cups (approx. 500g) berries, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease an 8 or 9 inch cake pan.
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Add to wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Add milk in two instalments, mixing well between each addition.
- Pour in berries and fold through the mixture until evenly distributed.
- Scrape mixture into prepared cake pan.
Note: This is a dense mixture, so do not expect it to be runny like a traditional cake batter. The berries will moisten it up during baking.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix until no lumps remain.
- Add butter and mix until it resembles wet sand.
- Squeeze a handful of mixture in your fist to create a tightly packed lump, then crumble across the top of the uncooked cake. Repeat until all crumble mixture is on the cake.
- Place the cake in the oven and bake for 55 – 65 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean (other than berry juice!)