One of my favourite things about winter is the evenings. After a long day at work, you get to head home to a warm house, snuggle up on the couch and relax with your favourite TV show. Sounds pretty good, right?
The only thing that could make this scene better is having a delicious, warm winter treat on hand. The trouble is, those kinds of desserts are generally a little time consuming to make and not all that good for you.
Luckily, this recipe for berry crisps bucks both those trends – yip, it’s easy to make and better for you thanks to Equal Spoonful. That means it’s packed with flavour and sweetness, without the calories. And you won’t even notice there’s no sugar, it’s that good.
So, what exactly is a berry crisp? It’s simple – it’s a warm, gooey, lightly sweetened berry mixture topped with a deliciously crisp crumble of toasted oats, hazelnuts and almonds. Simply pick your favourite berries – or go with mixed berries like me – and you’re halfway there.
The crisp topping is equally as adaptable. Don’t like hazelnuts? No problem! Simply choose two of your favourite nuts and use them instead of the ones in the recipe below. As long as you keep the ratios the same and you like the flavours, you really can’t go wrong.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can make both the berry mixture and the crisp topping ahead of time and simple pop them in the fridge until you want to use them – you can even freeze them if you want to! Then simply warm the berries on the stove or microwave and bring the crisp topping to room temperature when you’re in need of something a little sweet – too easy.
I can’t get over how delicious this dessert was without a single teaspoon of sugar in sight – even my husband couldn’t tell, Equal Spoonful works that well! If you’re looking for a guilt-free sweet treat to try this winter then definitely make time for this recipe – I’m sure you’ll love it!
Makes four servings
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, crushed
- ½ cup oats
- 3 Tbsp Equal Spoonful
- 60g butter, melted
- 500g berries, fresh or frozen
- 1 ½ Tbsp flour
- ¼ cup Equal Spoonful
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking pan with baking paper.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Scoop topping mixture onto prepared pan, spreading thinly across the pan. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes, tossing gently partway through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool while preparing berry filling.
- Place berries in a saucepan and warm over a gentle heat until begin to simmer.
- Add flour and Equal Spoonful. Mix until well combined and mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Scoop heaped spoonfuls into small jars or bowls. Top each serving with generous tablespoons of topping mixture. Enjoy while still warm.
This post was made possible thanks to Equal Spoonful.