There’s no denying that I love trying new chocolates – whether it’s Whittaker’s peanut butter or raspberry and white chocolate, or Cadbury’s Marvellous Creations I’m all over it in a heartbeat. So when I heard Whittaker’s was launching L&P chocolate I couldn’t wait to lay my hands on a block.
Luckily, I wasn’t disappointed in the slightest and over the past week have been busy scheming how I could use it in some baking. To be honest, it wasn’t hard to come up with something – cupcakes were the obvious choice! A bit of pondering and planning later, I was all set to make these L&P cupcakes a reality.
So what are they exactly? A fluffy, moist L&P cupcake topped with rich L&P chocolate buttercream complete with popping pieces. Yip, there’s L&P baked into the cupcake to give them an extra hit of that classic L&P taste – and ensure the icing doesn’t totally steal the show!
Having previously used fizzy drink to flavour butterbeer cupcakes I knew the L&P would flavour them beautifully – provided I got the quantity right! Too much and they wouldn’t bake and would react messily with the baking soda; too little and the cupcakes would be stodgy and dry – neither of which would be ideal! But with a bit of careful measuring, constant quality control (I did get through a bit of batter…) and tinkering with the batter I got the L&P cupcakes absolutely perfect – phew!
With the L&P cupcakes cooling on the bench I moved onto the L&P white chocolate icing. This was really easy – all I did was melt a block (yes, a whole block!) of the chocolate in with a light buttercream mixture. Then I simply tinted it a nice pale yellow, iced each cupcake with a generous swirl of icing and finished them with a few sugar pearls to tie in with the fizzing elements of the cupcakes – both in the L&P and the chocolate!
The finished cupcakes were beautiful – the cupcake was light and moist, with a delicate L&P flavour coming through with each bite. As you would expect the icing was incredibly decadent – think smooth, creamy icing infused with all the flavour and popping fun of the chocolate! Absolute Kiwi perfection. I hope you like them!
Makes approx 36 cupcakes
- 225g butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups plain flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 380ml L&P
L&P white chocolate Buttercream
- 125g butter, softened
- 5-6 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 225g Whittaker’s L&P White Chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius and line three 12 hole muffin pans with cupcake cases
- Cream together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour and baking soda.
- Add flour butter mixture one cup at a time, alternating with L&P and mixing until just combined between each addition.
- Spoon batter into cases until batter almost reaches the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
L&P White Chocolate Buttercream
- Mix butter until smooth.
- Add 2 cups of icing sugar and mix well.
- Add melted L&P White Chocolate and mix until well combined.
- Add remaining icing sugar one cup at a time, mixing well between each addition, until desired consistency is reached.
- Pipe onto cupcakes using an open 1M tip.