When you think summer desserts, what comes to mind? If you’re anything like me you’re picturing something cool and refreshing that you don’t need to switch the oven on for!
That’s where these delicious layered jelly cups come in. Made using Hansells beautiful new Lemon, Raspberry and Elderberry fruit syrup, these summery desserts are not only packed with a beautiful fruity, lightly tangy flavour, but they’re also an absolute breeze to make. All you need is four ingredients and a little time on your side.
If you’re not a big cordial drinker, then Hansells new range of All Natural Fruit Syrups are sure to change your mind – the flavours aren’t what you might expect! Think Mandarin, Lime and Bitters, Old Fashioned Lemonade with Key Lime Extract, Blackcurrant, Cranberry with a Hint of Basil, and (of course), Lemon, Raspberry and Elderberry. Sounds delicious, right?
They’re so good that I just had to make the most of their beautiful flavours in a simple summer dessert – and because they’re concentrated, they’re perfect for giving the humble jelly an upmarket twist.
While I used Lemon, Raspberry and Elderberry for my jelly cups, any of the new Hansells range would work beautifully – it all depends on what your favourite is. The fruit syrups are designed to be less sweet than other options and each bottle has a handy scale that shows you how sweet (or not!) each flavour is, making it easy for you to balance this dessert to suit your own tastes.
Grab the recipe for this simple dessert below – and don’t forget to enter the giveaway at the bottom on the post!
Lemon, Raspberry and Elderberry layered jelly
Fruit syrup layers
- ¾ cup boiling water
- 2 tsp powdered gelatine
- ¼ cup Hansells Lemon, Raspberry and Elderberry All Natural Fruit Syrup
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup cold water
- 5 tsp powdered gelatine
- Combine boiling water and gelatine in a measuring cup and stir until gelatine has completely dissolved. Add Hansells Fruit Syrup and mix.
- Divide into small glasses, pouring around ¼ cup of liquid into each. Place in fridge for 1-2 hours or until set.
- Combine sweetened condensed milk and boiling water in a medium bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together cold water and gelatine. Stir until gelatine is dissolved. Add to condensed milk mixture and stir well.
- Pour 1 cup of condensed milk mixture into a measuring cup. Divide into prepared glasses, pouring approx. ¼ cup of liquid into each. Place in fridge for 1-2 hours or until set.
- Repeat steps above until you have the desired number of layers. Finish with fresh or freeze-dried berries to serve.
- Leave remaining condensed milk mixture on the bench for additional layers. If mixture begins to set, simply warm over low heat until liquid again.
- If using a glass that widens in the middle, you may need to double the recipe to ensure even layers.
Thanks to the team at Hansells I have a Hansells All Natural Fruit Syrups gift box to giveaway to two lucky readers! Each pack contains two of the gorgeous new flavours (Mandarin, Lime and Bitters and Lemon, Raspberry and Elderberry ) and a fantastic mixer stick.
To enter, simply comment below and let me know which Hansells All Natural Fruit Syrup you’d most like to try this summer.
Entries close at 11.59pm Thursday 29 December and the winner will be drawn at random. Winner must make contact within 5 business days or they will forfeit the prize and a new winner will be drawn. Sorry – this giveaway is only open to New Zealand residents.
This post was made possible thanks to Hansells. All words, photos and opinions are, and always will be, my own.