Happy Easter Sunday everyone! I hope you’re having a wonderful long weekend and that you got totally spoilt by the Easter bunny (I certainly did!)
One of my favourite things about blogging is the people you meet – whether it’s other bloggers or readers, I always love finding a note in my inbox from someone new. There are some wonderful bloggers out there, and I was lucky enough to become friends with one of them through a mutual love (read: obsession) of baking – the lovely Lydia of Lydia Bakes.
Last weekend I had the pleasure of working with Lydia on something a bit special – an Easter collaboration post! After coming up with the idea of doing a cupcake version of the classic hot cross bun, we worked together on every part of the process – from conception and design to baking and decorating. And if you ask me, the result is pretty spectacular.
We came up with Hot Cross Surprise cupcakes – a fluffy, spiced cupcake (packed with chocolate chips instead of raisins), topped with a smear of buttercream icing and half a hollow Easter egg iced with a royal icing cross.
The special part? When you crack open the egg treats tumble out, just like the old fashioned Easter eggs!
These cupcakes are true Easter decadence – not only do you get an Easter egg, icing and lollies to feast on, you still have a beautifully fluffy, spiced cupcake to enjoy. Magic!
I’m sure you’re going to love these as much as we did making them – you’ll be surprised by how simple they are!
Enjoy the rest of your long weekend.
This recipe is a collaboration between Lydia of Lydia Bakes and High Tea with Dragons.
- 125g butter, softened
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp All Spice
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup milk
- ¾ cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, all spice and ground cinnamon and add to creamed mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Gradually add milk and mix well.
- Add chocolate drops and gently fold through mixture.
- Fill cupcake cases 2/3 with mixture. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Transfer to a rack to cool completely before decorating.
- 110g Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 ¾ cups Icing Sugar
- ¼ cup Cocoa
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- Beat butter until creamy.
- Add vanilla to the butter and beat until incorporated.
- Sift icing sugar and cocoa into a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture one cup at a time.
- Mix until lumpy then add milk until you reach a nice soft consistency that you can pipe with.
- 3 Egg Whites
- 4 cups Icing Sugar
- ½ tsp Cream of Tartar
- Make sure all your equipment is oil free by washing in boiling hot soapy water before beginning.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Using a whisk attachment, beat until well incorporated, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go.
- Beat icing on a medium speed for 8 minutes.
Royal Icing notes:
- Once icing is ready to be used it should always be covered by a clean damp tea towel.
- To store royal icing, place inside an airtight plastic container, place glad wrap directly over icing (pressing down) and place lid securely on top. This will last for one week.
You will need:
- 12 x Hot Cross Cupcakes
- Chocolate Buttercream
- Royal Icing
- 12 medium sized hollow Easter eggs, sliced in half horizontally
- Lollies and sprinkles of your choice (we used Jelly Belly’s and Smarties)
- 2 Piping Bags
- Medium sized round tip (number 12)
- Small round tip (number 4)
What to do:
- Pipe a small round swirl on cupcake, using a medium sized round tip.
- Fill the round side of the Easter egg with treats to the brim.
- Hold the cupcake upside down and gently press into the filled Easter egg.
- Using a small tip, pipe two lines of royal icing on the Easter egg to make a cross.
- Crack into the egg and enjoy your surprise!
Our top tip? Decorate the cupcakes just ahead of serving them – that way the treats hidden inside will stay in top condition!