We are very lucky to have a beautiful, big lemon tree in our garden that’s literally been bursting with fresh lemons every day since we moved in last year – there are so many that the branches hang low under the weight of them all!
It’s so handy having dozens of fresh lemons at your fingertips – especially when you’re baking! As I was looking out at the fruit-laden tree this morning I decided it was time to pluck a couple and do a bit of lemon baking – combine that with the delicious honey toast I was enjoying at the time, and you can see where the idea for these cupcakes came from!
These fresh and flavoursome honey and lemon cupcakes are a real delight to enjoy on the crisp, misty days we’ve been having lately – they’re the perfect ‘pick me up’. Packed with the deliciously light flavours of fresh honey and lemon from the cake to the icing, these cupcakes are truly special – and still really simple to make!
Last week was National Honey Week, so now’s a great time to pick up your favourite variety of Kiwi honey and get baking – plus let’s be honest, honey is always a good idea! The delicious flavours of your favourite honey really shine through in these cupcakes, while a dash of lemon in the cake and a generous dollop of lemon curd filling help add a little tang to cut through the sweetness. It’s the perfect combo.
I hope you enjoy this National Honey Week recipe – happy baking!
Honey and lemon cupcakes
- 112g butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup buttermilk (½ cup milk + 1 Tbsp white vinegar)
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup lemon curd, for filling
- 150g butter, softened
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk
Honey and lemon cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius and fill a 12-hole cupcake pan with liners.
- Place butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Alternate between adding flour mixture and buttermilk to egg mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix well between each addition.
- Add honey and lemon juice and mix until well combined.
- Spoon mixture into cupcake cases until ¾ full. Place in oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Once cool, cut a small wedge out of the centre of each cupcake and set aside. Fill with 1 tsp of lemon curd. Trim the wedges you’ve set aside to thin discs, and place on top of lemon curd to fill the gap.
- Place butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until very pale and creamy. Add honey and mix until well combined.
- Add icing sugar and milk and beat until smooth and creamy. Pipe onto prepared cupcakes.