Phew – it’s been awhile, but we’re officially back in action! And I promise this recipe was worth the wait…
Even though the weather’s still a bit up and down, it’s beginning to feel like summer is just around the corner thanks to one little thing… our local strawberry farm has officially opened! That means our fridge is once again fully stocked with beautiful, juicy fresh strawberries, which let’s be honest, are pretty much one of the most delicious things ever – right?
Now that fresh strawberries are no longer carefully rationed, I thought it was about time I used a few to flavour a bit of a weekend treat – and donuts were the first thing that sprang to mind!
Baked donuts truly are one of the easiest things in the world to make – no kneading, no mixer, just one bowl and a little bit of elbow power! Without a doubt, you’ll have a batch of six donuts mixed, baked and cooled in less than 30 minutes – and yet they’re super delicious.
I kept the base recipe of these donuts nice and simple, just adding a few finely diced fresh strawberries into the batter for flavour. Once baked, the fresh strawberry pieces sweeten up even more, speckling each donut with a beautiful jam-like strawberry filling. Sounds good, huh?
You will need a donut pan to make these, but I promise it’s well worth investing in. Need more convincing? Then check out my other baked donut recipes:
Fresh strawberry donuts
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 15g butter, melted
- 3 large strawberries, finely diced
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 – 2 Tbsp milk
- Pink food colouring
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius. Grease a six hole donut pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and baking powder.
- In a mug, combine milk, egg and melted butter. Mix until well incorporated. Add to flour mixture.
- Scoop batter into piping bag (or re-sealable bag with the corner snipped) and pipe into prepared donut pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine icing sugar and 1 Tbsp of milk. Mix until well combined.
- Add additional milk by the Tbsp until icing is desired consistency. Add pink colouring and mix.
- Dip each donut in icing or drizzle over with spoon, allowing excess icing to drip off. Finish with sprinkles, if desired.