Fast Friday: Soft Caramels
Today’s Fast Friday post is something a little special – beautiful soft caramels you can make in the microwave! This recipe is as easy as throwing everything in a bowl, popping it in the microwave, pouring into a pan and chucking it in the fridge.
The caramels are great eaten as they are, but even better dipped in chocolate – yes, it makes the process just a little longer, but it’s definitely worth it. I made two different caramels from my batch – plain dipped in chocolate and decorated with stunning neon confetti sprinkles from The Pretty Baker, and salted caramel! Everyone who tried these loved them, though the salted caramel is an acquired taste (you either love them or hate them – i love them) – this is definitely a recipe to add to your “must try” list. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Averie Cooks
- 110g butter, melted
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup light corn syrup
(Corn syrup is available for around $8.50 at American Food Stores like Martha’s Backyard and online through Kiwi Cakes. Alternatively, you can try using glucose syrup which you can pick up at the supermarket.)
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 250g milk chocolate
- 1 tsp oil
- Sprinkles and/or rock salt
Note: this is a fast moving recipe once you begin, so have everything in place and ready to go before starting.
- Line a pan with non-stick aluminium foil and spray generously with cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Place sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, sweetened condensed milk in bowl with butter and stir until smooth.
- Place in microwave and heat for 3 ½ minutes. Carefully remove, scrape down sides if necessary and stir gently. If any granulated sugar is attached to the sides, wipe down with a wet paper towel until clean.
- Place in microwave and heat for a further 3 ½ minutes.
- Remove from microwave and carefully add vanilla. Stir until incorporated.
- Carefully pour mixture into prepared pan and cover with foil. Place in fridge for at least four hours.
- Remove from fridge and turn caramel onto baking paper. Using a greased knife, slice the caramel into squares.
- Place chocolate in microwave-safe bowl and melt in microwave using 30 second bursts, mixing well between each. Add oil and mix well.
- Place caramel on a fork and dip in chocolate. Tap fork on side of bowl to remove excess chocolate.
- Place on lined baking tray and sprinkle with either sprinkles or rock salt. Place in fridge to set.