Easter’s such a great time of year – despite it being autumn the weather’s still great, chocolate tastes even better when it’s shaped like an egg and a decent break from work is on the horizon. Now it’s only two weeks until Easter Sunday it’s officially time to get some seasonal baking underway!
One of my very favourite things about Easter is Creme Eggs – they’re spectacular, gooey little orbs of happiness. I totally buy into their seasonality and indulge in quite a few over the months leading up to Easter and despite this they don’t taste any less amazing on Easter weekend than they did several weeks earlier.
So I wanted my first piece of Easter baking to reflect my love of all things Creme Egg – both the chocolate and filling. With this in mind I decided to make a batch of Creme Egg cupcakes!
You might be wondering what a Creme Egg cupcake is exactly. While there are no doubt hundreds of different ways you could make them, I decided to go for a completely decadent cupcake packed with Creme Eggy goodness inside and out – chocolate cupcakes stuffed with a mini Creme Egg before baking, iced with a rich icing made from Creme Egg filling and topped with a sprinkling of grated chocolate.
The cupcake itself is totally decadent and delicious. Upon biting into the cupcake there’s an explosion of Creme Egg flavour, with the chocolate shell remaining largely intact so the filling bursts into your mouth. It’s amazing. And rich. And not for the faint hearted!
I wanted to focus on the flavour of these cupcakes, so decided not to do any sort of elaborate decoration. I just don’t think they need it – if you love Creme Eggs they’ll steal your heart anyway!
With this in mind I iced each cupcake with a flat paddled spatula, pushing the icing right to the edges and smoothing the top. The icing is packed with the filling of five standard sized Creme Eggs, so has a beautiful Creme Eggy taste to it. It’s not as stiff as usual buttercream, so is definitely better to be paddled onto cupcakes than piped – the swirls and peaks created from the tip would just droop and fall. But this lack of pipe-ability it totally forgivable due to how great it tastes!
I hope you love Creme Eggs as much as me and adore these decadent cupcake creations!
Makes approx. 24 cupcakes
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 pottle chocolate yoghurt (150g)
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 200g butter, softened
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 3 cups self raising flour
- 1 cup strong coffee, boiling
- 24 mini Creme Eggs
- 2 ½ – 3 cups icing sugar
- 2 – 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp butter, softened
- Filling from five Creme Eggs
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius
- Put all ingredients in mixer in the order listed above
- Beat for approx one minute, until well combined
- Spoon mixture into cupcake cases until approximately half full. Place one unwrapped mini Creme Egg in the centre of each cupcake. Spoon remaining mixture into cases until approx. ¾ full.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until skewer comes out clean
- Place 2 ½ cups icing sugar, butter and 1 Tbsp milk into bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Unwrap Creme Eggs and scoop out filling using a small spoon. Add to bowl and mix well.
- Add remaining milk and icing sugar until mixture reaches desired consistency.
- Using a paddle of knife spread onto each cupcake.