Creme Eggs are without a doubt one of my favourite parts of Easter – they rival marshmallow eggs for the coveted spot as my most loved Easter egg. While marshmallow eggs narrowly win out on that front, nothing beats baking with Creme Eggs come Easter – anything with Creme Eggs in it is a guaranteed crowd pleaser!
Last Easter I created some rather indulgent Creme Egg cupcakes that are decadent enough to make any Creme Egg lover weak at the knees – and judging from the response it got after I posted it, you definitely seemed to love the recipe!
With such a success under my belt, the pressure was on to come up with something equally delicious this time around… but I’m pleased to say I have just the recipe. Crème Egg cheesecake. Yip – this year we’re taking Creme Eggs up a level and incorporating them into an already delicious dessert.
This Creme Egg cheesecake is undoubtedly one of my favourite cheesecakes – the base is rich and chocolately, the filling smooth, flavoursome, creamy and – of course – packed with mini Creme Eggs. Top that off with generous swirls of milk chocolate whipped cream and a mound of chopped mini Creme eggs and you’re left with one of the best desserts ever.
Like all my favourite cheesecake recipes, this one is remarkably quick for such a show-stopping dessert. Making the base is as simple as mixing crushed chocolate thins with a little melted butter, pressing it into the tin and popping it in the fridge. And as for the filling… well, it’s a no bake recipe so you know it’ll be just as easy!
As you can imagine, the finished dessert really is something special. Not a fan of Creme Eggs? Then swap them out for your favourite Easter egg instead – ideally something with a gooey, creamy centre. Regardless of which eggs you use, this is sure to become an Easter family favourite.
- 400g plain chocolate biscuits (I use Choc Thins)
- 200g butter, melted
- 3 tsp gelatine
- ¼ cup water
- 375g cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 300ml cream
- 150g mini Crème Eggs, halved
- 250ml cream
- 110g milk chocolate, chopped
- 2-3 tsp cocoa, to colour
- 150g mini Crème Eggs, halved and whole
- Grease and line base of 24cm/9 inch springform
- Process biscuits to a fine crumb. Add butter and process until well combined. Press mixture evenly over base and sides of prepared pan. Place in fridge to set.
- Sprinkle gelatine over ¼ cup warm water and mix until dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Beat cream cheese, vanilla and sugar in a bowl until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form.
- Stir gelatine mixture into cream cheese mixture until completely incorporated. Add chopped caramel eggs. Gently fold in whipped cream.
- Pour mixture into prepared base and place in fridge to set.
- Place chocolate in bowl and microwave in 30 second bursts until melted, mixing well between each.
- Place cream in a bowl and whip until soft peaks form. With mixer on low, gradually add melted chocolate and mix until well combined. Add cocoa and whip until of pipeable consistency.
- Place chocolate whipped cream in piping bag fitted with 1M tip and pipe swirls around edge of cheesecake
- Finish cheesecake with a pile of chopped Crème Eggs in the centre