This time of year is always pretty busy for us. Not only is Christmas creeping closer, but we have loads of birthdays to celebrate – there are six birthdays in December alone! Considering one of these birthdays is Kevin’s, life can get a little bit crazy.
Which is why I love having festive cookies sitting in the cupboard, ready to feed all those unexpected visitors you get at this time of year – and to scoff (I mean, enjoy) after dinner! The trouble is finding a recipe that is suitably Christmassy that doesn’t require intricate icing or decorating – I don’t know about you, but I never seem to have time to do that.
This is where these Christmas Crinkle Cookies come in. Packed with flavour and spice, these biscuits are a one bowl wonder that can be whipped up in next to no time – easily in under 30 minutes (and that’s including the bake time).
These delicious cookies have are packed with distinctive flavours – think golden syrup, dark brown sugar, cinnamon and all spice! Despite not looking particularly Christmassy (there’s not a Santa hat, candy cane or red/green stripe in site!), you can’t help but feel festive when you bite into them – it’s all in the flavours.
I’m a sucker for crinkle cookies – it always seems like magic to me. You pop a funny looking ball of dough in the oven, and within minutes you have a perfectly shaped, beautifully cracked cookie ready to eat… the transformation gets me every time. While the crinkling of these cookies is less distinctive than with my white and dark chocolate crinkle cookies, it’s obvious none the less – don’t they look gorgeous?
One thing you’ll notice about these cookies is how dense and sticky the dough is – you might need to add a little extra flour to the recipe to be able to roll them easily, I added about 2 Tbsp to mine. Once baked the cookies are dense and cakey in the best possible way – it’s like they’re so packed with flavour they can’t help but be that way!
I hope you’re enjoying getting into the festive spirit and all the wonderful things that come with it – like these cookies!
Makes approx. 24 cookies
- 1 cup dark muscovado sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp golden syrup
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup white sugar, for rolling
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line two baking trays.
- Place dark muscovado sugar, oil, golden syrup, cinnamon and all spice in a large bowl and mix until pale and creamy. Add egg and mix until well combined.
- Add flour and baking soda and mix until a dough forms. If dough is too sticky to roll, add more flour by the tablespoon until dough is manageable (I used 2 Tbsp of extra flour)
- Roll dough into small balls approx 3cm in diameter. Roll in white sugar and place on baking tray about 4cm apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes until cookies are cracked and slightly browned. Allow to cool on tray for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack.