Chances are you have a pot of mayo perched in your fridge ready for your salads and savoury dishes. But have you ever thought about using it in some sweet baking?
Yip, there’s a secret ingredient inside these delicious chilli chocolate hi-hat cupcakes – they’re packed with mayo!
I know what you’re thinking; why would you use mayo in cupcakes?
Well, ultimately mayo is just eggs and oil – two ingredients that are used in baking all the time. So when you bake with mayo, you’re really just switching out the eggs and oil you’d usually use for this cupboard staple – perfect for when you’re in a pinch! Using mayo also makes the finished cupcakes both light and dense at the same time – it sounds like a strange combination, but it’s absolutely beautiful.
But, like everything when it comes to baking, it pays to use really good mayo from a brand you absolutely trust – for me, that’s Best Foods Mayonnaise. Not only can you guarantee you’re baking with the best ingredients, but Best Foods has brought out even more of the best by introducing four new flavours to the range – including Best Foods Mayonnaise with a spark of Chilli, which is just perfect for this recipe.
Made using the amazing Best Foods Mayonnaise with a dash of chilli paste mixed in, this new flavour adds the perfect amount of heat to the cupcakes – just enough for the edges of your tongue to tingle lightly with each bite, but delicate enough that those who can’t eat spicy things can still enjoy them without a worry. Perfect, huh?
Be sure to grab a bottle of the new Best Foods Mayonnaise with a spark of Chilli (RRP $5.49) at your local supermarket and try these gorgeous little cupcakes yourself.
While you’re at it, you should totally try the other flavours in the range too – Best Foods Mayonnaise with a touch of Garlic, Best Foods Mayonnaise with a pinch of Mustard and Best Foods Mayonnaise with a zing of Lemon. Enjoy!
Chilli chocolate hi-hat cupcakes
Adapted from The Chewy Life, makes approx. 12
- ½ cup Best Foods Mayonnaise with a spark of Chilli
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius and line a 12-hole cupcake pan with cupcake cases.
- Place Best Foods Mayonnaise with a spark of Chilli, vanilla essence and milk in a large bowl and whisk until well combined. Sift in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. The batter will be quite thick.
- Spoon batter into cupcakes cases until two-thirds full. Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 200g butter, softened
- 2 – 2 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 250g milk chocolate, melted
- Place butter in a bowl and beat until light, creamy and smooth (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add 2 cups icing sugar and beat until combined. Add 1 Tbsp milk and beat for a further 2-3 minutes.
If icing is too thick, add remaining 1 Tbsp of milk and beat until smooth
If icing is too thin, add remaining ½ cup of icing sugar and beat until creamy
- Scoop icing into a piping bag or snaplock bag and snip off the corner. Pipe icing onto cupcakes in a circular motion, piling icing as high as you like.
- Place iced cupcakes in the freezer for 10 – 15 minutes until icing is solid to the touch.
- Place melted milk chocolate in a short glass with a wide mouth. Remove cupcakes from freezer and carefully dip icing into melted chocolate, allowing excess to dribble off. Decorate with sprinkles and set aside to set.