With less than a month to go before the summer holidays truly kick off, I have one thing on my mind – seriously delicious summery desserts. And what could be more summery than a cold and creamy ice cream sandwich?
These berry shortbread ice cream sandwiches are something a little bit special, right from the beautifully creamy ice cream centre through to the shortbread biscuits holding the whole thing together. There’s so much flavour in every single bite.
There’s a bit of a trick to making a truly dreamy ice cream sandwich, and it all comes down to one thing… you guessed it: the ice cream! Ice cream is (literally) at the heart of these delicious summer treats, so it’s important that you get it right. You want the best, after all!
That’s where Corner Dairy comes in. Corner Dairy is a range of delicious nostalgic ice cream flavours from the clever team at Kohu Road – and you know anything they create is going to be amazing! There are six delicious flavours in the range (think Malt Thickshake, Flat White, Chocolate Fudge, Hokey Pokey and Vanilla Bean), but these ice cream sandwiches are inspired by my favourite one – Berry Sundae.
One taste of Corner Dairy’s Berry Sundae ice cream threw me right back to memories of enjoying a fresh berry ice cream at our local berry farm each summer – it’s beautifully creamy and packed with the amazing flavour of seasonal berries. So I decided to pay homage to that amazing berry flavour by sandwiching it between two ‘melt in your mouth’ berry shortbread biscuits.
While shortbread is a firm biscuit, that makes it ideal for ice cream sandwiches – not only does it make it easy to hold the ice cream sandwich together, but being a shortbread, each bite literally disappears in your mouth. Yip, both the biscuit and the ice cream just melt away in a burst of flavour. Amazing, right? Just remember: ice cream sandwiches are a notoriously messy treat, so they’re best enjoyed in the Kiwi sunshine.
So pick up a tub of your favourite Corner Dairy variety at selected New World, Fresh Choice and Pak N Save supermarkets (click here to find your nearest stockist) and get baking – I’m sure you’re going to love this recipe.
Berry shortbread ice cream sandwiches
Shortbread recipe adapted from Chelsea Sugar
- 250g butter, softened
- ¾ cup icing sugar, sifted
- ½ cup cornflour or arrowroot
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- ¼ cup freeze-dried raspberries
- ¼ cup freeze-dried strawberries
- 30g white chocolate, melted (optional)
- 1 tub Corner Dairy Berry Sundae ice cream
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius and line two baking trays with baking paper. Set aside.
- Place butter and icing sugar in a large bowl and beat until pale and creamy, scraping sides as required.
- Add cornflour (or arrowroot) and plain flour and mix until a dough forms. Add freeze-dried berries and mix until just combined.
- Scoop dough onto a lightly floured bench and roll into a log approx. 5cm in diameter. Using a sharp knife, slice dough into 1cm rounds and place on baking tray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until just golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool on tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool, drizzle with white chocolate if desired.
- When ready to serve, place one scoop of Corner Dairy Berry Sundae ice cream on a piece of shortbread. Place another on top and press firmly.
This giveaway has now closed.
Want to win one of five Corner Dairy vouchers so you can try it for yourself?
Then simply leave a comment below letting me know which Corner Dairy flavour you would most like to try. It’s as easy as that!
Want a bonus entry? Then pop over to our Facebook page and let me know what dessert you would make with your favourite Corner Dairy flavour.
Entries close 11.59pm Friday 16 December. Winners will be drawn at random and must make contact within three business days or they will forfeit the prize and a new winner will be draw. Sorry – this giveaway is only open to NZ residents.
This post was made possible thanks to Corner Dairy. All words, images and opinions are, and always will be, my own.