Apple and berry is one of those combinations that are almost guaranteed to please pretty much everyone – particularly during these cooler winter months. There’s just something about it that makes you want to snuggle up on the couch, right?
While apple and berry crumble is a ‘go-to’ for lots of people over winter, crumble doesn’t need to be reserved solely for enjoying as a warm winter dessert – that’s where this apple and berry crumble slice comes in.
Yip, you get all the beautiful flavours and textures of an apple and berry crumble with all the convenience of a slice. Win!
What makes this recipe even better is that despite having three distinct layers, you only need to whip up one mixture. Simply throw together the base ingredients, give it a quick mix and you’re all set for both the base and topping. And there’s no need to cook the beautiful apple and berry filling before hand either. Easy huh?
The other great thing about this recipe is that it’s made using a ‘secret’ ingredient that gives the slice just the right amount of sweetness with fewer calories – Equal Spoonful. It’s all about bringing those beautiful apple and berry flavours out and making sure the base has a little sweetness to it. And if you didn’t know there wasn’t sugar in this slice, you truly wouldn’t have guessed – it’s seriously that good.
Judging by how quickly this slice is disappearing at our house, I’m sure you will love it.
Apple and berry crumble slice
Adapted from Healthy Food Guide
- 1 ½ cups wholemeal flour
- 2 cups oats
- ½ cup wheat bran
- ¾ cup Equal Spoonful
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅔ cup canola oil
- ½ cup vanilla yoghurt
- 2 apples, finely diced
- 2 heaped cups frozen berries
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line slice tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together yoghurt and oil until well combined. Pour into dry ingredients and mix well.
- Scoop ¾ of the mixture into the prepared pan and press firmly to create a flat base. Top with diced apples and frozen berries, then sprinkle remaining oat mixture on top.
- Place in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow to cool completely before slicing.
This post was made possible thanks to Equal Spoonful. All words, photos and opinions are, and always will be, my own.